Saturday, October 10, 2009

Paradise Now

The film "Paradise Now" gives you the insight of a daily lifestyle in Nablus. The two friends in this movie set out on a suicide bombing mission in the Middle East. This movie gives you a twist of what you are most likely expecting because it is from the views of the actual suicide bombers, when in most movies I have seen it is from the view of the victims.

One of the more shocking aspects of this film was my reaction and realization of what I would do if I were a Palestinian. This movie gave me the feeling that with everything going on the Middle East, we are mostly under the assumption that the Palestinians are after one thing. In reality, this film made me realize that the Palestinians do not know which side or what to do just as much as we don't as well. They are also put in the middle of the situation on what to do and what is best for their safety and lives overall.

With religion being a large part of the Middle Eastern culture, this leaves them with the questions of the acceptance of God and their other beliefs in higher meaning and beyond. I feel that they are now just taking each action and thought with the question and prose to please their beliefs in a higher power (God). They are doing what they think is right, yet are not completely and fully sure if it is the right thing and are still asking themselves about acceptance and pleasing God.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you raise the issue of the diversity of a people. This film presents Palestinians who hold opposing viewpoints. It taught me that people dealing with similar trauma often have very different ways of coping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am impressed that you were able to begin to project yourself into a Palestinian perspective. Seems to me that is essential if we are going to understand the conflicts in that region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true what they say, there are always two sides to every story. There was a lot of value in seeing this side when we so often get only the other perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter what anyone's opinion of this film and the perspectives shown in this film may be, I think it is important. It definitely shows a point of view that we do not often think about.

    ReplyDelete