Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Initial Thoughts

When I first signed up for this class, I had not heard or known much about it, besides the fact that I just knew I needed it as a part of my English major. After the first class period, I left anticipating the next class- a feeling I was not exactly expecting! I am really looking forward to learning more about the Middle East and the modern literature it entails because not only do I not know much about the subject, but the Middle East has become such a big part of our lives as Americans and has made a profound impact on the United States overall, especially after 9/11. As we all know, after 9/11 the way things are run in the United States dramatically changed and are still in full effect today. Alongside, it is important to be informed about the Middle East and to dig deeper than just the negative that has happened in the past between the Middle East and United States. There is more to the Middle East than just 9/11 and I am really looking forward to exploring more into this region and learning about its literature, culture, people, and history.

Another reason I am looking forward to learning about the Middle East is because my ancestors are from Armenia. My great-grandmother, great-aunt, and grandma are all from Armenia, and I have grown up hearing stories about their time in Armenia. One of my greatest childhood memories is having my grandma try to teach my cousins and I Armenian through cassette tapes and in person at family gatherings. I used to be able to speak basic Armenian (numbers, simple words, ect.) but unfortunately have forgotten them today but possibly one day I will get myself to learn more about the language (once I get through my Spanish minor, that is!).

Overall, I anticipate what this class has to offer, I have a good feeling it will be very beneficial and a knowledgeable class that I will be able to take and give a lot from!

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to know that I wasn't the only one who didn't know what she was getting herself into :) It is very neat that you have a tie to the Middle East too. What are your feelings on recent events in Turkey related to Armenians there?

    ReplyDelete